Wednesday, February 9, 2011

There's This Book I've Been Reading...

   So, we have a new store here in Birmingham.  It has quickly become a place that I must stay away from, unless I have money to spend.  Because I can't go in without spending money on something; usually several somethings.  It is probably the best store in the world, at least to me.  It's called "2nd & Charles", and it is a used book store.  That sounds like no big deal, right?  Most people think dingy paperbacks, old textbooks, and things you're never going to read when they think of used book stores.  Not this place.  Thinks Barnes & Nobles minus the coffee shop and high prices.  Actually, it was started by Barnes & Nobles in an attempt to meet a need of exchanging books you've read, and getting new books for them, I think.  Anyway, suffice it to say, the store is awesome.  You can take used books, DVDs, CDs, and video games, and turn them in at the store.  They price them while you look around, and then offer you cash or store credit for your items.  Then you can SHOP!!  The store is huge.  I could move in there with no problem and spend the rest of my life reading.  I don't think I could read all the books they have...ever.  Not to mention DVDs & video games. 

   But I digress.  I didn't really start this post to advertise, but to tell you about this book I've been reading.  I have been wanting my own copy for a while.  Someone gave one to our family as a gift when I was a kid, and I really enjoyed reading it then.  It's called "The Book of Virtues" and it is edited & compiled by William J. Bennett.  Basically, he takes several virtues like 'Self-Discipline', 'Responsibility', Friendship', and so on, and then compiles poems, stories (both fiction & non-fiction), fables, and essays that bring out different aspects of the particular virtue.  I found a copy at 2nd & Charles a few weeks ago, and I've been reading it off and on to the boys, and on my own.

   So, under the section on "Responsibility", I found this really great little poem about personal responsibility.  I read it out loud to the boys and asked them what they thought it meant.  Without missing a beat, our little Lawyer said "Do your own business!"  (This is something we've been working with him on of late, so the idea was fresh in his mind!)  I thought I'd copy it over into this post.  I am considering making the boys memorize it, especially the oldest one! (We 'oldest's have a hard time with not forcing helping others make sure they are doing what they're supposed to be doing!)

                                                      If You Were

                    If you were busy being kind,
                    Before you knew it, you would find
                    You'd soon forget to think 'twas true
                    That someone was unkind to you.

                    If you were busy being glad,
                    And cheering people who are sad,
                    Although your heart might ache a bit,
                    You'd soon forget to notice it.

                    If you were busy being good,
                    And doing just the best you could,
                    You'd not have time to blame some man
                    Who's doing just the best he can.

                    If you were busy being right,
                    You'd find yourself too busy quite
                    To criticize your neighbor long
                    Because he's busy being wrong.

   Hope this helps you, like it helped me, to remember and practice I Thess. 4:11! :)

1 comment:

  1. I love the poem! You are so right about the eldest members of the family trying to "help" others do right! By the time they are doing "helping" they have ended up doing wrong themselves. I think I will use this poem too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete