Thursday, February 24, 2011

Oh Sleep, How I Miss Thee...

  Being a mom means less sleep.  For me.  This is sad.  For me.  (And occasionally, for the other members of the household, depending on how much sleep is missing!)  I actually like going to bed now. Sleeping has become tantamount to a rare and delicious dessert that you only get to finish once in a while. 

   To me, sleep has become one of those great blessings from God that we sometimes take for granted.  I know I did.  We know that during sleep our bodies rest, heal, recharge, and rejuvenate.  If you know me, you will know that I am slightly rabid on the point of my children's naps/bedtimes.  I have made it a point to keep nap time in our kids life for as long as possible.  Until the First-Born went to first grade, he napped every day.  The kiddos also go to bed at around 8-ish as often as humanly possible.  Yes, there are a few late nights here and there, especially as they get older with more levels of activity going on, but I still make it a point to get them in bed ASAP on a late night.  I really think that this has led to the boys being as healthy as they are.  Tired kids don't have the ability to fight germs as well as rested kids do.  So, I guard bedtime in this house. 

     I, unfortunately, do not seem to do well with naps.  I usually wake up feeling worse than when I laid down.  So I try to at least take a few minutes for "quiet time" while the boys are napping.  Reading, watch a TV episode from Netflix, or play a video game, just to decompress.  It's funny--there have been several nights where the hubby and I have stayed up just because we could still hear the boys rustling around, and as soon as they were quiet, we crashed!  I used to think when I was a kid that being a grown-up meant staying up as late as you want.  Now, I convince myself that 8:30 is a perfectly acceptable adult bedtime!  

   Be fore-warned, all those of you who read this blog and don't have kids yet...treasure your sleep.  Believe me, when it's gone, you will miss it!  And for the rest of us walking zombies...umm, never mind.  Whatever witty thing I was going to say left...another victim of my sleep-deprived consciousness...oh look, it's nap time!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment