Monday, March 7, 2011

Dentists and Clowns

   So, odd title, right?  You may be wondering what dentists and clowns have in common, and why I would blog about them.  Well, the thing they have in common is the fact that I don't like them.  Now, I don't have anything against clowns or dentists as people, but their jobs creep me out.  Clowns just freak me out, and dentists run a close second.  Now, thankfully, I don't run into clowns on a daily basis. (Although, that's the thing with clowns: you're just going along, minding your own business, and BAM, there's a clown in your way!  What's that about?!  How do clowns make people want to come into your store?!)  Dentists have recently become a more stable fixture in my life, now that the boys are old enough to start going for check-ups.  And since I want to be a good example, I have recently found a dentist and started going for check-ups myself.  (Since it has been a while, obviously I have a little work that needs to be done.)  To illustrate how the dentist affects me, I once told my hubby that I would rather go through labor 12 times than go to the dentist! 


   Seemingly, I have not passed on this irrationality to my boys.  I tried really hard to maintain positive attitudes and cheerfulness about the impending dental visits.  Our last visit was actually greeted with excitement!  (Mine is tomorrow; I am not excited.  Enough said.)   It is difficult for me to go to their dentist.  I guess it's not only a dentist problem, but a tooth problem. I don't like teeth...especially wiggly ones.  I don't like things touching my teeth, unless I am doing it.  And don't even get me started on floss... 


   We have a dentist appointment today.  (I bet you couldn't guess that...)  The boys have small cavities they need filled.  Plus, on Friday, during our trip to the science museum for his "Fun Day", our First-Born fell on his face, and severely loosened his two top front teeth.  I was very proud of myself, I did not freak out at the sight of the crooked, bleeding mess that was his mouth.  We went calmly to the bathroom and proceeded to stop the bleeding.  I was very thankful that they were baby teeth!  So far they have stayed in, and I knew we would be seeing the dentist today, so we didn't make an emergency visit.  He seems none the worse for wear, and I have recovered.


   Do you think God is amused at our foibles and fears, in the same way that the little things our kids go through amuse us?  I imagine Him smiling down and saying, "Don't worry, it'll be over soon, and I'm right here,"  just like I would say it to the boys.   I am thankful for the verse in Psalm 56:3 that says "What time I am afraid I will trust in Thee."  It doesn't specify what qualifies as something to be afraid of, for which I am grateful.  That means even the little things count!  Like my tooth cleaning tomorrow...where there will be floss... *shudder*  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment