Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Teaching (and Learning!) Trust

     Trust is a topic that has been on my mind for a little while.  We have had lots of opportunities to both practice and teach trust in our household lately.  There have been a lot of changes that have caused me to realize that a more active trust in God was the only way I wasn't going to go crazy!  In reality, I am not much of a worrier.  I have a tendency to take things one day at a time, and try not to stress about the "unknown."  However, I am a planner.  Which means the unknown is sometimes frustrating simply because I don't have a concrete plan of action.  This is where the trust comes in for me.  I have to remember that God has a plan, even if I can't write it down in my book, and He's working things out for me.

     But in my opportunities to learn more trust, I have had to remind myself that I am not the only one learning this lesson.  I have little eyes and ears that are watching and listening to every seemingly small conversation about the finances, school/new baby changes, and the million other little things that have changed recently.  And I remind myself that I have to teach trust as well as learn it!

     Kids evidence fear and worry in different ways.  For First-Born, the thing he worries about the most is the weather.  (I wonder why...?)  Any storm warning, weather siren, or  news story about the weather and he is asking a million questions about where and when.  Of course, we have reviewed the verses about "What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee." and "Fear not for I am with thee.."  And he knows these--intellectually.  But that is not where trust is grown.  So, we are working on the believing part of trust with him.  He is getting better--he was actually unconcerned about the storms we had last night!

     Middle Biscuit is our quiet one.  The "go along to get along" kind of kid.  His trust issue has much more to do with him trusting too much.  He is the believer in the family.  Which is a blessing in one sense, but he will have to be careful not to be gullible.  Our focus with him will definitely be trusting people--who can fail you--too much.  "Wise as serpents, harmless as doves."

     Stitch is just growing into his "issues."  He is now big enough to notice what's going on around him, and to question Mommy & Daddy about these things.  He is the most like his Mommy of the three boys, and needs a plan.  Recently, with the impending new arrival, he has been very concerned about things for the new baby.  "Do we have a car seat for the new baby?" "Do we have diapers?"  "Do we have clothes for her?"  These have all been questions I have fielded in the last two weeks.  So, I take and show him the car seat, diapers, and clothes which seems to ease his mind.  And I tell him that God will help Mommy and Daddy take good care of the new baby and of him.  One step at a time...

     So, which kind of trust issue are you working on?  Needing a plan?  Worrying?  Or maybe you're too trusting of people who let you down?  Remember, our Heavenly Father has control of all our circumstances...and don't forget to pass that trust on to your "little watchers!"  :) 

    

  

No comments:

Post a Comment