Monday, June 4, 2012

Summer Start-Up!

     The first week of summer is officially over!  We were glad to have a relaxing week, recovering from the craziness that was the last week of school!

     I really don't want to waste the summer.  I have all these things in the back of my mind that I want to get done before school starts.  Things like cleaning, organizing, and stuff that never seems to get handled when school starts up!  So, in that spirit, I got up this morning and organized and cleaned out all the cabinets in my kitchen!  I was so glad to get this much-needed task done!  Now, if I can only get the hoodlums and the Hubby to help me keep it this way!  :)

     I don't want the boys to waste the summer either.  They would be perfectly happy to sit in front of the TV watching movies and playing video games all summer!  So, in the interest of not turning their brains into mush, we have signed up for the summer reading program at the local library.  They keep up with how many books they've checked out and read, and then at the end of the summer, they get a prize pack from the library.  We did it once, two summers ago, and the boys really enjoyed it.  We have read a lot of books so far!

     We are also working on some Cub Scout projects and electives as well.  Today, First-Born made a weather chart, which he is supposed to use to track the weather for two weeks.  Middle Biscuit will be working on his Tiger Track over the summer as well.  One thing you have to say about Scouts--there's always something to be working on!  They've learned that bored kids get into trouble!

     Hubby and I were talking earlier this week about that idea as well.  We want the boys to be busy learning and growing.  It's kind of scary to think that you really don't have that much time to teach the important things to your kiddos!  (Of course, some days it seems like they're never going to grow up!)  But there are so many good things to learn, and, unfortunately, there are so many things everyone else will want to teach them---and most are not good!  We have to be so vigilant to be the first to fill our children's minds with good, profitable knowledge and wisdom, before the world can fill it with mindless fluff and garbage.

     So, just a word of encouragement---be your kids' teacher!  Try to impart some small lesson in wisdom everyday!  Spend some time thinking..."What do I want my kids to learn from me today?"  Because they will learn something--no matter what!  It's our job to make sure it's something that nurtures or admonishes!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment