Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Drumroll Please...The New Schedule Is Here!

     Okay, as you probably already know, (if you've read my blog for any length of time) I have a thing for scheduling.  Having a schedule makes me feel at least somewhat on top of the insanity that is life.  I work on retaining a spirit of flexibility within the schedule, because I realize that if I don't, I may be neglecting opportunities that God has placed in my path for ministry that day.  (Another of my "mom" blogs I read helped me see this more clearly.  She wrote about the importance of not letting our busy schedules as SAHMs squelch the opportunity to be a blessing to someone God put in our path.)  


     Well, I spent yesterday (between loads of laundry) working on my new schedule for this school year.  Since I will be a "working" mom (I've always held the opinion that any mom is a working mom!) this school year, the schedule is a little more full than it has been previously.  Then, when you factor in extra-curricular activities such as Scouts and church, things get even more exciting!  (Read: crazy!)  Having a general idea of what is supposed to be happening when is the only way to keep from playing catch-up all the time.  


     The day is structured pretty similarly to start with.  I set my wake-up time to be earlier than the boys, so I have time for personal devotions, a quick work-out, and a shower.  Then I get breakfast started before they are fully up.  Then we all sit down to breakfast together, and we have also decided that we are going to start learning a family memory verse on a weekly basis at this time.  Then it's off to get ready and leave for school.  


     When we get home, it's time to get changed and have a snack.  Then I have scheduled to do my "mommy" chores (laundry, cleaning, etc.) while the boys work on any homework, their devotion books, and piano practice.  They will have the opportunity to take "official" piano lessons at school this year, so we will have to work in that practice time!  I have allotted about an hour and 45 minutes to get done with what I can as far as the housework goes.  I know that some days will be better than others in this respect...sometimes I'll get it done, and sometimes I won't.  I am trying to be okay about this...


     Then it's time for cooking and eating supper.  After supper, the boys and I will clean the kitchen and make lunches for the next day.  This will be our biggest time-saver in the morning.  Then the boys will be responsible for packing their own back-packs for the next day and getting their pajamas on.  After baths and teeth-brushing, it will be time for family devotions and bed.  I have stressed the importance of a hard and fast 8:30 bedtime.  Sleep is critical for healthy kiddos!  With the exposure to all the new germs of school, I really want them to be well-rested and able to fight off illness.  Not to mention the crankiness!  


     Then it's "mommy & daddy" time for about an hour.  We have plans to keep a decent bedtime too...with all we have going on, we can't afford to be ill either!  So, it's bed at 10 for us!  (I remember when I was younger, I thought that being a grown-up meant you could stay up as late as you want...haha!)  


     Well, that's the basic plan so far.  Does anyone have any suggestions or lessons you've learned in your own scheduling?  Leave a comment here or on FB for me!  I figure it will need to be tweaked here and there, but we'll be able to make those adjustments as we go along.  This week is the "practice run."  It's working pretty well so far...we haven't had any major meltdowns yet.  Oh, did you think I was talking about the kids...I meant from me!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment