Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Drumroll, Please!

     So, why am I asking for a drumroll?  Because, this weekend we had a very important happening in our household!  Something that everybody should do at least once in their life.  I am pleased to announce that First-Born and Middle Biscuit....wait for it...got their very first LIBRARY CARDS!  Ta-da! 



     Now, this may not seem like such a big deal, but to me it is!  I still remember my first library card (when we moved to PA, we lived right up the street from the local library...the card was orange cardboard...I felt like a grown-up!)  I spend a lot of time reading.  And when I say a lot, I mean, every spare minute that I am sitting down, before bed, when I'm eating (I know, I know, bad manners...but I only do it if we're not eating as a family!), and pretty much any other time I can. 

     I have always wanted to pass on this enjoyment of reading to the boys.  So, I have read a lot to them.  We have as many books on our bookshelves as we do toys in our toy boxes.  For the first two years of their lives, especially the older boys, they went to sleep at nap time to the sound of me reading to them aloud.  So far, we have read aloud the first five "Little House" books, "Runaway Ralph" several Bobbsey Twin books, "Mary Poppins", "The Hobbit", several "Oz" books, "Peter Pan" and others.  Not to mention innumerable picture books.   


     So, last Saturday, we had some time to kill and we happened to be down-town.  We thought about the art museum (free admission!), but couldn't get parking because they were having an event.  So, we decided to visit the really big down-town library.  And I thought, what better place to get the boys first library cards than in this huge, new (to them) library?  It would make it even more special, right?  So, in we went, and up to the second floor children's section.  After about an hour, the boys had chosen the book they wanted, and we headed down to the check-out to get our new library cards!


     They boys were excited to check-out their books with the own cards, and they wanted to hold them all the way home.  Middle Biscuit best part was the "receipt" he got telling him when his book was due.  He was very careful to tuck it into the front of his book! 




Here are the books they chose. (Well, Daddy chose the one about fibers.  Don't ask...I have no idea.)



     The boys are into learning about real things right now.  So, they like to look at books about animals especially.   

      So, that's the latest and greatest happening around here.  Oh, and speaking of books, look for me to add a book review page to my blog soon!  :) 

1 comment:

  1. Yes, sometimes I'll ask to put the book down for dinner. Then, I remember all the times I've benefited from her vast knowledge that she got from books, and that she has already spent all day conversing with the children. So sometimes I let her read right through family dinner without saying a word.
    "She's close enough to perfect for me."

    ReplyDelete