Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Don't Forget Dad!

   This Sunday is Father's Day. So, I thought I'd put down a few thoughts that I've had lately about our dads and how important they are in our lives, and the lives of our kids.  


   I am so grateful for my own dad.  He has always been the best example of Christ-like giving that I can think of.  When people talk about generosity, or selflessness, it is always my dad that I think of.  Because he will literally give you the last of whatever he has without thought for himself.  I hope to be as giving as he is one day.  I am also grateful that my dad is still around, because a year ago he almost wasn't.  During the scary time of his cancer battle, I always had peace that God would bring him through.  I am glad that this Father's Day, he is here and healthy! 


  I am also grateful for the Godly husband I have, who does his best every day to be a great dad to our sons.  He is tough, yet loving, and that's what boys need the most!  He is so great about spending time with them, doing Legos, teaching them to ride bikes or plant a garden, and instructing them in how to live in the right way.  I hope my boys will grow up to be great dads--just like their dad was for them! 


  I found a poem the other day in a book I have, and I just thought I'd share it.  It was written by Edgar Guest, and I found it in The Book of Virtues by William J. Bennett.  It really exemplifies what being a dad is about to me; the sacrifice, commitment, and courage it takes every day to be a father.  


"Only A Dad"

Only a dad with a tired face,
Coming home from the daily race,
Bringing little gold or fame
To show how well he has played the game;
But glad in his heart that his own rejoice
To see him come and to hear his voice.

Only a dad with a brood of four,
Of ten million men or more
Plodding along in the daily strife,
Bearing the whips and scorns of life,
With never a whimper of pain or hate,
For the sake of those who at home await.

Only a dad, neither rich or proud,
Merely one of the surging crowd,
Toiling, striving from day to day,
Facing whatever may come his way,
Silent whenever the harsh condemn,
And bearing it all for the love of them.

Only a dad but he gives his all, 
To smooth the way for his children small,
Doing with courage stern and grim
The deeds that his father did for him.
This is the line that for him I pen:
Only a dad, but the best of men.

  Happy Father's Day!   We love our dads! :)

1 comment: